Grilled Jerk Chicken with Mango and Coriander Salsa
1 cup vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
3 scallions, coarsely chopped
2 Scotch bonnet pepper, stem and seeds removed
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
8 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
8 drumsticks, skin on
For the mango and coriander salsa:
3 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 tablespoon chopped green onions
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Puree all the ingredients, except the chicken, in a food processor until almost smooth.
2. Pierce the chicken with a fork to make tiny holes. Place the chicken in a large shallow baking dish and rub the marinade into the chicken.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours, depending on how intense you want the flavor to be.
4. Preheat grill. Grill chicken on each side for 5 to 6 minutes or until cooked through.
5. To make the salsa: combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and let sit 30 minutes at room temperature.