Melinda Messenger has come a long way since starting out as a glamour girl and Page 3 “stunna!” for The Sun and the Daily Star. Awarded the title of ‘Girl of the Thrillenium’ by the tabloids, she went on to forge a successful TV career with hits including bizarre Channel 5 gameshow Fort Boyard and impressive turns on Celebrity Big Brother and Dancing On Ice. The mother-of-three’s latest project is Five’s ambitious talkshow Live From Studio Five, where she will team up with Kate Walsh and Ian Wright for some daily topical banter. Keep reading to find out ten fascinating facts about the curvy TV star.
1. Melinda was born in Swindon on February 23, 1971 to parents Terry and Avis. She was the middle child and has two brothers Jamie and Warren.
2. The busty star’s first modelling job came courtesy of a double glazing company called Gelvum Windows. Dressed only in her undies, the poster campaign featured the inventive slogan “Class Behind Glass”. Famously, cheeky youths began stealing the posters from bus stops to take home to the privacy of their bedrooms.
3. One of Melinda’s proudest achievements is winning the Quality Street Celebrity Mum Of The Year title in 2003. Perhaps more significant for her fans was her victory in 1997’s Rear Of The Year competition. The male winner that year? None other than Gary Barlow!
4. Would Melinda ever consider having more cosmetic surgery on her ample bosom? Well, she won’t rule it out. “I had my breasts enlarged when I was 24. I haven’t done anything since then, but I would never say never. I would never do it for work, I would do it for me if I wanted to.”
5. Melinda may seem like one of the happiest celebrities on the box, but she has suffered with serious bouts of depression and has even considered suicide at her lowest ebb. “I don’t know what the root of my depression is, but at its worst it gives me a sense of detachment from the rest of the world,” she said in 2007. “There is no way of lifting my mood or of feeling any joy, and I cry endlessly. You are in such pain that you really don’t want to live.”
6. Before turning to the world of glamour modelling, Melinda’s career had involved working as a flight attendant for BA and managing 50 staff at a marketing company.
7. Melinda’s career has seen many highlights, but she has also worked on plenty of TV turkeys in her time. Loose Lips, Beat The Crusher, Baby Baby and her time on Eurotrash are probably best forgotten. The less said about her cameo as Superbra Girl in dreadful movie Virtual Sexuality is for the better, as well.
8. You’ll rarely find anyone with a cross word to say about sweet Melinda, but she did manage to get Sue Perkins’s back up when they shared a house together on Celebrity Big Brother. Perkins described Mel as a “blonde Vulcan” who had a “Darth Vader presence”.
9. Melinda may have gone from strength to strength in recent years, but she does have one regret – not making more of her time in the US. She says: “About eight years ago I went to LA and got offered lots of work out there. The casting director of Warner Brothers said that if I went out there he could basically guarantee me work, they were offering things like Veronica’s Closet, but I was just far too afraid at the time to do it. So I kind of regret that now, I think I should have just given it a go and seen what happened.”
10. You want to know Melinda’s all-important measurements? Well she’s 5ft 4in. Oh, you mean the other measurements! She’s an impressive 34DD-22-34.